Saturday, July 14, 2007

Going To Oregon Country

Our destination: Ashland, Oregon


Sunday morning at four a.m. we are heading to Oregon to visit my folks. The trip is around 800 miles and takes about sixteen hours. They live in the town of Ashland, eight miles from Medford, and a hundred or so from the northern California border.

Our daughter, son-in-law and grandson left yesterday evening and drove through the night to Burns, Oregon. When they got to Burns, they were going to get a motel and sleep during the day. However, there are so many fires burning in the Oregon desert that the motel gave their room to firefighters, so they had to drive on to Bend, Oregon.
There are only a few main highways in this part of Oregon, and there is a possiblity some roads may be closed due to fire. So it could be a most unusual and interesting trip tomorrow.
The Oregon Outback, least populated area of the lower 48. Most people don't realize that the eastern half of Oregon is an empty desert. (Michael Totten Photo)


Leaving the farm country and heading into the desert. (Photo Michael Totten)

The scenery is expansive but gets old after four or five hours. (Michael Totten photo)



A sign in a two-horse town warns against letting the dog use the well-manicured lawn as a toilet. Or perhaps this spot is off-limits due to the dangerously close proximity of the propane tank. (My photo)

Stretching our legs along the side of the highway somewhere in the Oregon Outback. (My photo)

Posting may be down a bit during the next week, as I'll be limited to using my dad's computer, but I'll do one or two for my faithful readers.

I took this photo from atop the lookout over Crater Lake last summer.

4 comments:

Richard Havers said...

Great photos Rob.

Have a safe trip, we'll all be here when you get back!

r morris said...

I'll still be 'havering on' in Oregon, using my dad's computer.
My dad is also a writer, and my mom is busily typing up the story of her grandmother for me, so there may be competition for the computer.
My next project after the novel is to write up the story of my maternal great-grandmother, who came from Austria to Idaho and homesteaded in 1870. She spoke only German and Nez Perce Indian (she traded farm goods with the Indians). Her husband, my great-grandfather, also an Austrian immigrant, abandoned her, leaving her with three children to raise.

She is an incredible, inspiring woman, and I am going to honor her with a book. My mom is busily writing down everything she remembers about her. My great-grandmother Aloisia Schupfer (born Knaus in Ramsau, Austria) was born in the 1850's and died in 1938, so there are few people alive who remember her. My mom was close to her and is the last living link to this great

Richard Havers said...

Great story Rob, get an agent and get the movie rights optioned - NOW!

Unknown said...

Have a great trip Rob. You have a guaranteed future reader of all future works here!