Tuesday, November 11, 2008

One More Vet's Day Honoree---My Great-Grandfather John Richards

I don't have a photo of him handy, but I'd like to honor my great-great-grandfather John D. Richards of Switzerland County, Indiana, who enlisted at Muscatine, Iowa into the Union Army with the 11th Iowa and fought in the Civil War. John was wounded seriously at the Battle of Atlanta after fighting in all the major battles of the western war, including Shiloh, Vicksburg and Pittsburgh Landing. John survived, though crippled, and fathered eight children, one of whom was my dad's grandmother Birdie Richards. John passed away in 1917. He had been shot through the groin and had severe pain the rest of his life, making it hard for him to plow his fields.
I never knew you, great-grandfather, but I honor you. I'll post a photo of you as time permits.

No comments: